Spooky77
Spooky77 asks:
Q:

My 33 year old neighbor keeps bullying my autistic children. What can I do?

The woman next door keeps threatening to kidnap my children and put them out on the interstate "bye bye retards" is how she put it. She has threatened bodily harm to me and my children on several occasions. However, since it is her word against mine, the police won't do anything but take reports. Every time she sees my children outside, she screams obsenities at them and calls them f'ing retards. My children, ages 8 & 2, have a mild form of autism. This really hurts them to hear an adult call them such names. What can I do about this woman? She is living here illegally and I have contacted my landlord several times about it and he has done nothing. Do I have any legal recourse against my neighbor and my landlord? I feel my children are being discriminated against because they have autism. What should I do? Since I live in a very small 4 plex with a tiny lawn, there is really no way of avoiding this woman. I am at a loss. Help would be appreciated!!!

|

AnnieFox

An adult targeting kids? Despicable! This is harassment and yes, certainly  you have legal recourse. It sounds like you need a restraining order to protect your children from this hate-filled neighbor. If you don't have an attorney, or you need help finding one, do a google search for "Attorney ______ (your city or county)" Get on the phone with an attorney today. Even if he or she does not handle this type of neighbor dispute, s/he is likely to refer you to another attorney who does. In the meanwhile, document the incidents of abuse. If there have been witnesses to these encounters, see if they'd be willing to help with a statement of what they observed.

I hope this helps.

0
0

CampbellsMama
CampbellsMama writes:
I may be wrong, but isn't your child's condition a protected class against hate crimes? I'd look into that and press formal charges. It may make things a little uncomfortable around the 4-plex, but who cares! Your not the one who is behaving inappropriately. She's obviously not exactly a great neighbor and friend and I kind of wonder about any adult who picks on a child for fun?!? She sounds like a real loser. Maybe the police can at least get her to act right and stop verbally abusing your child. Stopping her behavior is what I would concentrate on. If your landlord won't do anything - I'd see what all his culpability is in creating a hostile environment for minors?!?
It may seem extreme, but these people sound like they need extreme consequences to act correctly.

2
0
RianaS
RianaS writes:
If she's here illegally, INS could put a stop to all of this. But if that's not a course you wish to take, filing charges against her for harassment and menacing is very well what you should do, as well as record her doing it. Even if you give the kids your phone to do it. She doesn't have to know. Then you have evidence. You can also inform your local news station, some do investigative reports and things get resolved much more quickly.  Hopefully a stop will be put to her actions.

0
0
artemis.of.the.moon
artemis.of.... , Student writes:
I'd say to take the motherly instinct route and deck her in the face. But that won't solve anything and will land you in a world of trouble... So refrain from that.. No matter how much you want to.

But I'd go all CSI and set up a camera or recording device of some sort and have it ready for when she strikes down on your children, so you can have physical evidence of it actually happening... Sure, it may be upsetting at the time, but in the long run, it should pay off.

Or just go up to her and say that if she doesn't back off, you'll call the immigration services and they'll come deport her sorry self back to wherever she came from. DO NOT MESS WITH THIS MOMMA-BEAR.

I'd confide in the other neighbors as well, to have them keep an eye out for her strange activity. The more witnesses against her, the better...

Hopefully it all works out in the end.

0
0