Anonymous
Q:

My 3rd grader has outgrown most of the children's clothing stores due to her height & is currently wearing size 14 or 16 in the girl's department.

Besides Justice and P.S. Aeropostale, what are some other preteen clothing stores where we can shop?  We're not looking for anything from large discount stores.
In Topics: Back to school

|
laurenf

Best Answer!

Some of my favorites were:

Limited Too
Gap
Old Navy
Pac Sun

Hope at least one of those works out for you.

1
0

Hi, I have a tall, soon-to-be third grader too!

Adding to the previous suggestions you received, you might also consider H&M. They offer current styles (without breaking the bank). Here's more info about them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%26M You mentioned that you didn't want to shop "large discount stores", and I'm not sure exactly which ones you mean by that, but we shop at Target for many of our daughter's school clothes. They have great t-shirts (really fun colors and styles), and we buy some of the basic essentials there too (like socks and tights).  

Another way our daughter gets many nice clothes is via hand-me-downs from her older stylish cousin. My sister-in-law takes great care of the clothes, and sometimes they get passed to us after only a few wears. If you don't have a relative with hand-me-downs, consider having a clothing swap. Find other parents in your social circles or neighborhood who are interested in trading clothes. Take your child’s outgrown clothing and trade for new, second-hand clothing with your friends and neighbors. (I also do this with my adult female friends, and it's a lot of fun!).

We're also fans of garage sales and thrift stores. One strategy that has worked well for us: we often find the best quality (and best deals) in wealthy neighborhoods. For instance, there is a Goodwill in a high-income suburb about 15 minutes from our home, and it's worth the drive to check out their offerings. Beside bikes and electronics, we have also found brand new and lightly-worn clothing items there, and my daughter gets to choose so many more items than she would if we were strictly buying new at a non-thrift retail outlet.

Lastly, consider perusing local boutiques and children's clothing businesses. You might be surprised at the deals you'll find (in some instances, there may even be flexibility on the prices -- if you don't mind asking or negotiating for bargains). Also, in the smaller local stores, you may find items that aren't mass produced or that are more original than the products at larger retail outlets (sourced locally, or sourced by artisans vs. sweatshops).

I hope these suggestions are helpful to you. Thanks for asking!

1
0