Anonymous
Q:

Need help with my 3rd grader doing her homework.

my daughter is in 3rd grade , she has always done good ain school, now when she gets home with homework she tells us she dont know how to do it. we have talked to the teacher and she knows how she is playing us. what is a parent to do, i need all the help i can get. the teacher is one that dont baby the kids. but my daughter will not bring her stuff home or take it back to school what do i need to do? please help
In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s), School and Academics, Learning disabilities

|
Hi, Have you tried sitting with your daughter and helping her with her homework? How about asking the teacher if you can pick up the homework assignments directly (vs. relying on your daughter to bring the homework packet home)?

Our second grader once tried to tell us that her teacher wasn't covering the lessons in class (to try to get out of doing homework so she could go play), but I confirmed with the teacher (like you did) that the teacher had covered the lessons a week prior. My husband or I sit down with our daughter and review the concepts and expectations of each homework assignment with her, answering questions she has and encouraging her as she completes the work. We also sometimes make a game of it, by creating songs with the spelling words, or having a competitive family spelling test (daddy vs. daughter, with me as the "teacher"). Beyond adding fun to doing the homework, we also sometimes use rewards, such as ice cream or a kid flick once that evening's homework is completed.

Talk to the teacher too to see if she or he is using rewards in the class -- that may help with getting your daughter to turn in the homework once completed. It is possible to offer rewards to children without "babying" them.

I'm including below some resources on Education.com that may also offer you some suggestions for improving the situation with your daughter (as well as some fun learning activities and practice worksheets for her grade level). Hope these help!

1
0
asia123
asia123 writes:
first at the beginning of the week go to her school and ask the teacher for the homework for the week. then with the homework make it a game to teach her in a fun way. then she will want to do homework. also good luck and may god bless u and ur family

1
1
Anonymous