mother36
mother36 asks:
Q:

I need help with my 4 year old son

Hello, I was writing because I have a very hyper 4 year old boy.  I have a hard problem getting him to sleep at nights and he has virtually quit taking naps at nursery and refuses to lay there quietly.  He has been kicked out of one daycare and the current one he is in is a blessing because they are now bringing a behavioral therapist in from our school system to observe him because they are at their wits end also but they don't want to give up on him.  He has a tendancy to get really agitated and start hitting and stuff and I am sure it is because he is tired from not taking a nap but yet this boy fights sleep like there is no tomorrow. I am not sure what to do.  The doctor recommended melatonin for night time and now my son's father got the bright idea to ask the doctor for a note and giving it to him at naptime too.  I just feel this is too much melatonin even thought the doctor did indeed give him the note for it.  I was just wondering if maybe anyone has encountered this problem before? Or maybe someone might have suggestions on some kind of solution for this or what to do.  

|

Hopefully as your son gets back into a regular sleep pattern at night, his behavior is improving during the day.  When our bodies are short on sleep it is very hard to regulate your mood and your reactions to those around you.  For your little one it is especially hard because he is just a preschooler and has not yet learned how to appropriately express how he is feeling.  Between getting more sleep and the expert advice from the behavior therapist, hopefully things are improving.  If you need additional support, call a hotline, they would be happy to help you find resources for your area.
 - Sara, Counselor

0
0