ms_bettinad
ms_bettinad asks:
Q:

My 4 yrs old is getting in trouble at school for not listening? How can I get him to listen better.

My son is 4yrs old and is in Pre-k. He is getting in trouble at school & home because he is just not following directions. He has to be told at least 3 times to do something before he actually does it. His hearing has been checked and he has been tested to see if anything else is wrong developmentally. He is doing great in both areas. He is actually ahead of the other students in his class. How do I get him to listen and follow directions the first time we ask him. I am a teacher and parent so this is frustrating me because I have tried everything.  
In Topics: Learning issues and special needs, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

First thing to do is to talk to your son's regular health care provider.  Make an appoitment and discuss your son's behavioral problems.  Sometimes, metabolic disturbances can lead to behavioral problems in childdren and your child's health care provider will be able to easily rule them out.  Your son's doctor may also suggest seeing a pediatric counselor.

0
0

struggling
struggling writes:
When you figure that out....could let me know??? I have been struggling for 10 years with that one. I have also tried many different things. We ended up breaking the directions up. Gave it out in steps..but didn't say step 2 until step one in completed. My daughter has ADHD so there have been many struggles. Breaking it up seems to help a little. Sorry, I know that is not a whole lot of help.

1
0
lynellen
lynellen writes:
I am so glad you have had his hearing tested and his development.  Did the developmental testing check his auditory memory (being able to remember what is said), his ability to follow multiple steps (motor planning)? Do certain foods impact his listening abilities?

0
0
Stellalana
Stellalana writes:
I am a kindergarten and preschool teacher and I have a 4 year o;d daughter who is actually in my class. It is very hard to get her to follow directions without having to repeat myself three times or more. She is very smart and does not have any hearing problems. She is actually almost reading and very advanced for her age. But she is always dancing and singing and only listens after i raise my voice or threaten to take something away. I notice that she does not really have this problem with my husband. She listens to him the first time. The only conclusion I have is that I babied her too much and now she is taking advantage. it could also be because I spend so much time with her. Th problem of her not listening in class is that sometimes she is just bored. Good Luck. I know how frustrating it can be.

0
0