murrah_79
murrah_79 asks:
Q:

How can I help my 4th grader with reader comprehension and math?

She is having problems with understanding how to explain how she may have gotten her answers to problems as well as telling about a story she may have read.
In Topics: Helping my child with reading, Motivation and achievement at school, Helping my child with math

|

Try doing a Think Aloud.  This is when you explain what you are thinking out loud to your child.  So when you are modeling how you would solve the problem, stop throughout the process and share your thoughts.  Your daughter job is to watch.  This can be a bit difficult at first because you want to ask questions and your daughter will want to answer them.  

As for reading, start reading or even listening to stories together.  Then have discussions after each section.  You can also model with the Think Aloud method.  Turn it into a special time when it is just you and her.  Pick a time and a comfortable place and read out loud to each other.  4th grader are no too old to be read to.  You read a page and then she reads a page.
1
0
Anonymous