sgibson0409
sgibson0409 asks:
Q:

My 5 year old is confused about who to call daddy

I am divorced and have been in a wonderful relationship for over a year.  My 5 year old met him after several months.  We now live together and are planning on getting married.  They have gotten very close.  She still sees her real dad a few times a month but is starting to realize how often he doesn't follow through with seeing her.  He is supposed to keep her every other weekend but on those weekends she is usually with his parents and he might drop by for a visit.

Recently she has called my fiancé daddy a few times and we can tell that she is confused by this.  When we take her to the gym, the girls there have referred to my fiancé as her daddy and she just gives them this weird look.  I can tell that she almost feels bad when she calls him daddy but cant help it sometimes cause it just comes out naturally.

How can I explain the fact that many kids have two daddy's in a way that she won't feel guilt and that she can call Jesse(fiancé) whatever feels is right.

My biggest fear is that she is going to want to call them both daddy and when her real fathers family hears this they are going to try and "correct" her and make things worse rather than keep the child's best interest in mind and just letting it be
In Topics: Communicating with my child (The tough talks)

|