Nichola
Nichola asks:
Q:

How can I get my 5 year old son to poop in the toilet?

We adopted our son at 23 months.  He is now 5 years old and only pees in the toilet.  He is not bothered with wearing soiled pull ups.  We have tried many things such as: putting big boy underwear on him, Dr. Phil's potty doll,
letting him know that he could collect points from pooping in toilet  and then when enough points accumulated we could let him to to the store and get a toy (inexpensive)  Nothing works..Any suggestions would really be welcome..
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness, Medical problems

|

First, check with your pediatrician to be sure that he is physically well and that the rectum or anus are healthy.  Second, be reassuring so that there is no fear.  Desensitize him to the bathroom.  Quick looks around, longer trips to the toilet with constant reassurance that he is pooping like mom, dad, grandma etc...Tell him he must defecate in the bathroom first in his diaper and then in the toilet.  But he must sit afterwards for a minute.Carry into the room if you see him start elsewhere.  Have rewards and penalties.  Do not back down.  Do not ask school to make accommodations. This may take weeks but be clear that it is unacceptable to poop other than the toilet. Establish a routine and you need to be home with him when you start the toilet routine.

Good luck and stick with it and he will get the message.

Wayne A. Yankus, MD, FAAP

2
1

sodah
sodah writes:
To be honest, I sat in the bathroom with him until he was comfortable with the process. Stinky, but effective. It taught him how to relax and I just slowly worked myself out of the room and he is fine now.

1
0
lillaura
lillaura writes:
My 3-year-old did the same thing for months. I started watching and timing the times that we go poop. Once I got somewhat of a schedule, I made it a point to go to the bathroom and sit with him to read books (about potty training), this way it was fun, as oppose to sitting there just waiting. Once he looked back the first couple times and saw that he could actually go, he was very excited. He has not had an accident since. This was two months ago.
I think what helped was the consistency of potty training being the topic of conversation, we would even read the same books at night :)

1
0
mommyc
mommyc writes:
I had that problem with my son @ 3 1/2 to 4 yrs.  It got to be too much buying little toys to get him to go, so finally I made a "naughty box"  (shoe box labeled on the lid)  I stored it on the fridge.  Whenever he pooped in his pants, I took the toy he was currently playing with and put it up in the naughty box.  The only way he could get a toy out was by pooping in the potty.  Each poop in the potty=one toy rescued.  So if I had 3 of his favorites, I got 3 poops in the potty from him.  It worked great, then he just caught on.  He is 5 now, no more naughty box and no more accidents.  I also bought some fun hand soap that he could only use for poops (pee he used normal hand soap)  I bought the huggies one that the pump (hippo head) would light up and flash for amount of time u are to wash for. You could also purchase some kandoo wipes or any flushable wipes (then put fun character stickers on container (which u could also do to make normal soap, special soap)  only for use with poop.  I would take out pullups period...I know it makes more mess for you (I cannot begin to tell u how many times i was dumping poop out of his underwear or picking it up off the floor...yuck!) but pull ups at this stage make him think what he does is ok.

1
0
LilMama85
LilMama85 writes:
I actually have the same problem but my little boy is not adopted. He will go pee in the toilet but he will poop in his pants everytime. He doesn't care if we put a pull up or a diaper he just calls it underwear. He goes to Kindergarten and has pooped in his pants there once and I had to go pick him up and bathe him and take him back. I have sat in the bathroom with him for long periods of time reading to him coloring with him and singing songs with him and I am at wits end because he will not poop in the potty...

1
0
babiicakez98
babiicakez98 writes:
When your son poops in his pants, make him sit on the toilet for 30 minutes.

0
1
mheyman
mheyman writes:
It's important to maintain a positive attitude;  ignore the mistakes, poop in the pants, and reward the actions that you want (i.e., sitting on the toilet and having a BM).  Sometimes a simple reward such as a gummy bear works.  Having a child sit on the toilet for 30 minutes after an accident will never succeed -- no child will sit anywhere for 30 minutes (well, maybe in front of a video!)....
And do not do anything to the child's bottom (especially do not try to stimulate BM's with suppositories or enemas -- that will cause worse problems.

0
0
canpanita
canpanita writes:
well you colud incourage him or get him interested by using a toilet sit of his favorite character and that is how hi should want to start going to the potty and when hi does then you can reward him with a coin. that is what i would use.

1
0
QWWER
QWWER writes:
You can take him to a doctor to get looked at or you can ask for medicine.

0
0
tracis719
tracis719 writes:
Nicola, I am having the same problem with my son. He is four going on five. He starts kindergarten this September and i am trying to get him to go in the toilet before he starts school. I was wondering if you have resolved the issue and how you did it. He has never gone poop on the toilet and he refuses to use public bathrooms. I can deal with him not using pubic restrooms but the pooping thing is something that needs to be taken care of. It is rather expensive to continue buying pulls ups and i want to get him and my daughter who is 3 out of them for good. Thank you

0
0
Anonymous