jocasta29
jocasta29 asks:
Q:

How can I help my 5 year old visual learner with math?

She is assigned sum like 1+1 or 2+3 every night.  They scramble them but they are the same. She knows the answer yet she takes hours to finish a twenty minute assignment. She gets tired. If I sit with her she cries because I make her work faster by the time we finish it is bed time or later.  She cries. I made up a song to help.  She really liked it but instead of using it to help her do math she began revising the song into different versions.  I am visual learner too and I get it but even with my help she is getting worse
Member Added on Mar 17, 2011
Thank you everyone for your help.  Good news we found that she likes ink stamps.  So when she answers her work correctly she gets a stamp.  If she finished her assignments on time or early she gets another stamp.  So far, her speed has improve dramatically.
In Topics: Learning styles and differences, Tests (preparing, taking, anxiety!), Helping my child with math

|

A visual learner often needs to have hands on tasks.  Perhaps writing the equation such as 4 + 3 = _______ on a paper with bright markers or crayons.  Use different colors for each number and operation.  Then give  candy, raisin or some other fun "manipulative" underneath the problem.  Therefore, maybe four raisins + three raisins and then have her move them all over to the other side and count up to seven.

The strategy of using hands on activities is usually successful with young children. And because it is yummy, she will enjoy completing her work knowing that she can eat here "helper raisins" at the end!

Louise Sattler, NCSP

1
0

Anonymous