brentwoodca
brentwoodca asks:
Q:

My 5 yr old was being bullied in preschool, but now seems to be the one that is the bully. What do I do to change this now?

My son just turned 5 and has had a problem with a particular boy being a bully for the past 2 yrs. It got so bad this year that we spoke to the teachers about it after he was having outbursts at home and we figured out it seemed to be on the days when this child was being especially mean to him. The teachers did address the problem and decided he would be sent home, which he was a few times, if his behavior was out of line. Well now it seems that my son is the one that is out of control, pushing other kids, taunting, etc. All of these behaviors he knows are unacceptable in our home. I know kids and teachers get tired at the end of the year. We have been in the classroom the last couple of months for different activities and the entire class seems to be somewhat out of control compared to earlier. I have tried explaining to our son that his behavior is not nice and asked him if he likes it when others do those same things to him with him replying no. It still happens. And to boot he has gotten to where he doesn't like to apologize very easily either. Please can anyone give us a different approach for this? My husband and I are both adamantly against bullying and are willing to try reasonable methods to change this.
In Topics: My child's growth and development

|

I would again recommend sitting down with the teacher. It may be the end of the year, but she still should maintain control.  i would also recommend a short behavioral counseling session as a family to deal with his behavior.  The sooner it is done, the less complex the therapy. as parents, you are on the right track and have the right values for raising a five year old. Also, try a reward chart for good days at school or at home.  Stick to it and best wishes.

1
0