Leah6 asks:

5 yr old twin in Kindergarten with social problems, don't know where to turn

I have 5 yr old twin boys in Kindergarten.  They are in separate classes.  Twin B has always been developmentally behind Twin A.  Walking, talking,everything.  Twin B also has tongue-tie which he is not seeing a speech therapist for because the school district feels that it isn't severe enough but he does have issues with words and in listening to him talk he still sounds like a 3 or 4 yr old.  I know it is because he doesn't speak as clearly.  All his life we wondered if there isn't something else wrong.  He has always been scared of really loud noises and would freak out, he doesn't regulate his body temperature well at all, and often when he would fall as a baby, he wouldn't cry, even at times when he probably should have. Twin B has academically progressed by leaps and bounds despite the enormous amount of homework.  The problem is that the teacher moves quickly in class and Twin B (and other kids) can not keep up.  He shuts down in class and often at home because he has 15 reading books a night along with a bunch of sight words and numbers (almost twice as many as Twin A in the other class).  I talked with the teacher and she said that Twin B does great in small groups but not in the general class and that at times his speech and words lead her to believe that socially he isn't ready and needs to be held back.  My husband and I think there is more going on.  We just don't know where to turn.  Homeschooling is not an option.  He is learning just can't keep up with pace.
In Topics: Learning disabilities, Speech and language issues
> 60 days ago



Dec 22, 2011
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk!

It would seem that you have a had ongoing concerns regarding your TWIN B.  Have you consulted with the school district to make a formal request for a meeting regarding your concerns? (This is a formal IEP process, independent of just speech  issues.)  If for no other reason, you can document your concerns and also open a conversation with the staff that are working with your children.

To start  the process you need to make this request, in writing. Here is a website to help guide you  and give you a much information about school issues:


Also, may I recommend a few other resources such as...

Michele Borba.. The Big Book of Parenting Solutions - available in most bookstores and online

Kidlutions - Solutions for Kids  (www.Kidlutions.com)

Good luck!

Louise Sattler, Psychologist

Did you find this answer useful?

Additional Answers (1)

Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend Education.com to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely