Pajodygirl57
Pajodygirl57 asks:
Q:

My 6 yr old girl just threatend a  boy in her class by saying if he was a bear, she'd shoot him. What do I do?

I am worried about my 6 yr old grand-daughter whom I am raising threatening to shoot a little boy if he was a bear. This is the first time she ever done something like this and I am devastated

|

It is understandable why you are concerned over what your grand daughter said to her classmate. Using language which includes violent themes such as shooting and killing can be alarming, but please keep in mind that most behavior is learned. She probably heard other children talk about shooting or heard it on television. Maybe she related something she saw about a bear in the woods and a hunter.

Now, on the other hand what she is saying is that she would shoot this boy, IF he was a bear. It would be more concerning if she had told the boy she was going to shoot HIM now or soon.

Please be alert for more aggressive language from your grand daughter, and make sure you are giving her other choices of how she can express herself without using words which can hurt others. Work with your school counselor or school social worker. They are there to help give advice and suggestions and they may be able to meet with her during the day to work on positive language.

If you would like to talk in more detail about this or any other parenting issue, you can call our toll-free hotline or e-mail us. We also have a parenting website which has a great deal of information and parenting tips. We are here 24 hours 7 days a week to listen and support parents, grandparents and kids of all ages.

Thanks again for reaching out. Take care and we look forward to hearing from you!

Cynthia, Counselor
1-800-448-3000
hotline@boystown.org

0
0