Anonymous
Q:

Can a 6th grader ever catch up in math if he doesn't know the basic math facts (subtraction, addition, multiplication, division) yet?

In Topics: Helping my child with math

|
Daniel_Guillot
Daniel_Guil... , Parent writes:
Being strong in math myself, I've never had to struggle.  However, I have tutored several kids who have struggled.  The main concept that I have learned from this is that math builds on itself.  If you haven't grasped the basics, you will continue to struggle.  My thought is that in 6th grade, it is time to learn these skills.  How quickly a student can catch up will mostly depend on the student's desire to learn and the amount of effort put into their studies.  I have learned though my own studies that the more practice problems that did, the easier the topics came to me.  My advice is to a child strugging is to do the homework, pratice work and anything else you can find.  Repetition is the key to learning math.

1
0
djsmom
djsmom writes:
This student is our foster child. Like you, I have never struggled with math myself, and my own children didn't have a problem either. Our plan is to do our own version of home-school/summer school this summer, starting at about a second grade level so we see some success. The desire to learn is not very strong at this point. I don't think this child is ready for 7th grade, but the therapist does not advise holding this child back a year in school.  I think the ability is there, but not the motivation.  I'm hoping with some success and encouragement, this child will catch up. But is this just a dream or is it really possible?

0
1