Upset
Upset asks:
Q:

My 6yr old grandson's teacher complains that he gets up too often from desk, plays hand games with others, and therefore doesn't keep to himself etc

Member Added on Feb 12, 2011
Teacher rates this as bad conduct and puts a "red" mark on his notebook. Grandson was worried mom would punish him so he erased the red mark and went over it in "green" which is "good".  Mom made him apoligize to teacher but for playing a hand game with girl student he received another "red mark".  I am concerned that grandson will get frustrated because he insists that he is not doing nothing bad in school yet teacher is rating his behavior as "bad".

|

Sorry to hear about your grandsons bad marks in school!  He may be the best student academically, but if his behaviors are disruptive and perhaps they detract him from completing his work on time or at all, his grades and academic progression will suffer.

How is he at home?  Doe she get distracted easily?  Does he seem to be fidgety?  Does he misplace things easily?  Is he forgetful?  Does he get distracted while watching a movie and can't get through it?  If yes, he may have attention problems that his parents should discuss with his regular health care provider.

0
0

Dear Upset Grandparent,

I think that it's wonderful that you are this involved in your grandson's life and sounds as though Mom did the right thing by having your grandson apologize to the teacher for the mark he erased and changed.  I feel that I can't comment properly, because of lack of information.  Has he received many marks or just the two you made mention of?  When you say that the teacher is rating his behavior as bad, are you referring to comments on the report card or just feel this way due to the prior marks?  Also, I'm wondering what grade is he in?  If it's kindergarten, this could all be part of his adjustment as he learns how to behave in school or is he in 1st grade and if so, how was his behavior in Kindergarten?  Did this just start this year or is it an ongoing issue?  If you could update your question with a little more information, I feel that we could be more helpful here.  Meanwhile, I've provided some links that may help you resolve the matters.  Don't worry about this, it may just be part of the learning experience, because what you've mentioned here doesn't seem to be that serious.  Best wishes and do tell us more.

0
0
Upset
Upset writes:
Thanks for your prompt reply.  You were correct in stating that my grandson is going through an adjustment phase.  He was living in the Caribbean since birth and moved to Maryland, USA in mid December and continued his 1st yr. of elementary school but with little knowledge of the English language.  It's been difficult for him but he's brilliant and learning quite fast.  Previously he had been graded with good scores for behavior as well as merit but then received the poor marks in his notebook 3 days in a row, that's when we got worried. He's got all our support and we are positive that things will get better and that he will adjust to the change etc.  Thanks again for your help!

0
0