dave21
dave21 asks:
Q:

my 7 year old grandson wishes he was a girl

My 7 year old grandson wishes he was a girl ,he asked me if I knew how he could become one . I don't think his parents will take this seriously , but I'm concerned since he prefers to play with girls. He has a 14 year old sister who he idolizes ,and wants to be with her all the time. I would like some help on this.

thank you,
Dave21
In Topics: Physical development, Physical Health

|

As young as 3 years of age children know the difference between being a boy or a girl.  Your grandson's wishes to be a girl could only be a stage that will pass.  However, if he exhibits gender identity issue over time, you should suggest that his parents discuss the gender identity problem with their child's regular health care providers.

Suggested reading:

Gender identity disorder

http://www.webmd.com/sex/gender-identity-disorder

0
0

A father asked a very similar question in JustAsk, and received 30 answers thus far that you may also find helpful: http://www.education.com/question/son-girl-similar-situation/

You might also discuss your concerns with your grandson's parents, and encourage them to discuss the matter with his pediatrician and/or a family counselor. Below is some information about developmental milestones for children your grandson's age.

Thanks for asking!

0
0
64trout
64trout writes:
Been there, our son has 2 sisters and is surrounded by girls most of the time. He relates well to them and is great at helping and nurturing others-girly qualities.  Sometimes helping the boy find guy stuff he enjoys and Most important a good male role model, like a grandpa, to do things with helps so much.  Sometimes it's just a phase, most of the time it's what we're all searching for-a way to belong and fit in.  Try Boy Scouts programs, Boys and Girls Club, Church youth activities.  Remember to tell him how much you love him and all his great qualities.  Our young man is responsible, goal oriented, hard worker, etc...What any girl would look for in a man!

0
0
amrii2
amrii2 writes:
i have a niece who said that at around that age and now she is inlove with being a girl and spending time with her friends talking about cute boys. it could be a phase my sister just let her express how she felt and didnt judge or say anthing to correct her just listened and let her feel comfortable to say what she felt. dont know if this helps but just thought i would share. i had a friend when i was a child and he never said that he wanted to be a girl but turned out that as an adult he likes men.

0
0