shareena1
shareena1 asks:
Q:

How can I help my 7yr old daughter add and subtract without using a number line?

In Topics: Learning styles and differences, Helping my child with math

|
lazzylady
lazzylady writes:
My 7yr old is having trouble with single addition and subtract time sheets they have to do 100 in 5 min up to 9+9
and 9-9

1
0
Hello there,

Thanks to you both for participating in JustAsk!

I think it's wonderful that your child is using a number line to understand the concept of addition and subtraction. But you're right, at a certain point, you want your kid to be able to answer addition and subtraction problems without using that tool.

Try switching up the teaching method, and having him count small trinkets, like coins or buttons, instead of counting on the number line. This might help him grasp the concept in a new way.

Whether your child uses a number line or object counting to answer questions, he's going to be practicing math -- and that's the important part! When it comes to really getting down the basic math facts, a huge part of the learning process is repetition.

We have tons of addition and subtraction worksheets on the site, too. I suggest browsing through the pages of worksheets, and looking for a few that offer addition and subtraction practice (along with some cute images to keep him engaged).

Hope this helps, and good luck!

0
1