Q:

My 8 year old boy has many behavior problems. What should I do?

"I have an eight years old boy and I am facing many problems with him as he's very active. He can't stay in one place for a moment. He doesn't obey me. He runs away when I asked him to come back home. Sometimes I punished him but he does it again and again so I stop doing that but he do it again. Moreover he has got problems in learning he always forgets spelling the letters and reading the words .He is jealous of his 6 years old brother. Fortunately, his brother is not like him. I am very worried about him. What should I do?"

Asked by Toual in commenting on the article, "Helping the Very Active Child": http://www.education.com/magazine/article/helpi...
In Topics: ADHD & attention issues, Discipline and behavior challenges, Parenting siblings

|

Allyn Anderson

Parenting is probably the most challenging task any of us will ever undertake. But, as parents, we aren’t alone. There are many resources today that can support us as we work with our children. Talk with your child’s teachers and school counselor; see what strategies seem to be working for them. Talk with your child’s pediatrician to discuss your concerns and ask for his advice. Both the school and your son’s doctor can suggest resources. You may want to consult specialists, such as a child psychologist, who can help you properly diagnose your son’s issues and provide you with intervention strategies. Plus, there are various parent organizations and support groups, such as Chadd, that can help as well. I’ve copied two web sites that will provide you with additional information.  The best to you and your family as you seek support for your son.
2
0

Dr.Monika , Child Professional writes:
Parenting a very active child can be challenging.  You described your son as hyperactive, forgetful, impulsive, not following directions, and not progressing academically.  Are these new behaviors, or have they been going on for a while?  If new, talk with your child's health care provider and evaluate your son for metabolic disturbances, such as thyroid disease.  If these behaviors have been going on for some time, but maybe now are more pronounced, your son's health care provider will help you evaluate him for attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder.

2
0
Anonymous