Anonymous
Q:

My 9 year old daughter was assaulted on the bus and nothing is being done about it..

My daughter came home from school yesterday with the entire right side of her face swollen and red. You could clearly see the hand print on her little cheek. I called our local sheriffs department and filed the paperwork but was told that it would be turned over to the school and their resource officer. I went to the school this morning and the principal had already had his mind made up that it was an accident. The student that slapped my daughter in the face was an eighth grade boy. The boy and the bus driver had gone to the office before I had arrived. They told the principal it was an accident and he was playing with her. When I arrived I was shuffled between Four different office's. They have camera's on the bus and I asked to see the video but was denied. He never even asked if my daughter was OK or for her side of the story. I literally had to set and listen to his 20 minute description of what they said had happened. There are now four different stories going around and he had called several kids to the office. One child was not even on the bus at the time.So therefore because he said it was an accident nothing was done. That same afternoon the mother of the boy was laughing and carrying on with the same bus driver that said she didn't see any intent. What do I do?

|

If you feel that your school is not being cooperative, you may want to put your concerns in writing.  Specific but concise descriptions will be the  most helpful. Providing this document to the school may make them take your concerns more seriously.

What are your desired outcomes in this situation? Is it wanting to ensure that the boy who hit your daughter is punished?  Are you concerned about your daughter's ongoing safety?  As a parent it is hard to keep focus on your desired outcome because of the emotions involved! Regardless, talk to your daughter about staying safe from these situations in the future--who to sit by, who to talk to, avoiding others, etc.

Also, school districts have superintendents and boards of education that assist in making decisions regarding issues within a school; as a result parents can contact them with unresolved issues.

0
0