lisaitaliano
lisaitaliano asks:
Q:

I have a 9 year old niece who steals HELP!!!!

I have a 9 year old niece she is a wonderful girl but she lies and steals.Last night I had her over at my house for a sleepover. The last time she spent the night was months ago, maybe even a year, well this time I called her out on it. I looked high and low for the missing object and knew she had it I went to her home and sure enough she had the missing object. When I got to the house she even lied to my face saying it wasn't there until her own dad said he saw her with it. Then my niece said she got the object somewhere else and not from my house when clearly I knew it was mine. How can I talk with my Sister and Brother about their daughters behavior in my home without coming off as I don't love and care for her because I do I TRULY LOVE HER AND KNOW SHE CAN BE BETTER THEN THIS!. I'm at a loss right now because shes so young.I understand shes  still learning but I'm her family how can she steal and lie to a family member  stealing from a friend or a store is something else but a family member. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!

|

Stealing is not okay. Your sister and brother need to have very serious conversation with their daughter about her behaviors. She needs to learn that her actions have consequences.

You should also talk with your niece about respect and trust and how when you steal from someone you lose both of those things.

You should explain to her because of her behaviors you can no longer trust her at this time, and that she will not be able to spend the night at your house for a while.

It's important that you let her know how she can earn your trust back. She might make you a nice card saying that she is sorry.

1-800-448-3000

0
0