Kidcats
Kidcats asks:
Q:

Why is my 9 year old so shy?

I have a nine year old daughter who is very happy overall. We have a close relationship and a positive one. Until last year she was very comfortable with herself and changing her clothes or taking a bath was not something that had to be private in her eyes and I was OK with this. Last year, seemingly from one day to the next she became extremely private, I went to help her change her clothes as I did so many times before and she abruptly told me not to help her, pulling my hand away from her shirt, as I walked out the room and had the door slammed behind me. I thought: "OK, that was sudden." and accepted that maybe she is starting to be more private and I can respect that.
However, it never subsided and she is a bit extreme about it at this point. She has a Dr's appt. next week with a dermatologist and she cried about it because she is afraid she will need to take her shirt off and doesn't want to.
I have explained that there is nothing wrong with her body to be so shy and asked her the dreaded questions of :"Did something happen that made you feel uncomfortable". Nothing comes out other than: "I just get an weird feeling and I don't like it" all while sobbing.Is it normal for a nine year old to cry like this? She also still locks her door when changing and will not use the changing room at the YMCA unless she can be in a private locking stall. She is not yet going through any puberty changes so I am not sure what I can do to help her feel more comfortable. Please help.
In Topics: My child's growth and development

|

Shyness about your body is typical for tweens.  If concerned please consider discussing this with your local school guidance counselor.

Good websites and books:

Kidlutions.com
MicheleBorba.com
AnnieFox.com
The Care and Keeping of You - a book about your growing body by Schaefer from the  American Doll series

Good luck

0
0