mynameismommy
mynameismommy asks:
Q:

9 year old son struggling in school

My son is 9 and in the 4th grade.  He is getting extra help in basically every subject - reading (RTI program), writing (IEP in this area for written communication - extra help plus software in the classroom), math (extra help before school 3 days a week).  He has been evaluated as having short term memory issues, but his IQ is normal.  He can focus at times and is easily distracted at others.  Recently we are struggling because he is very disorganized (no matter how many ways he and I come up with to help) and leaving homework at school, not turning in homework that is complete, and is unmotivated to improve.  We've gone from Bs to Ds in 6 months.  I have asked for another meeting with his team at school and am having him evaluated by an educational psychologist. What else can I do?  What else should I be doing?  I am in contact with his teachers at least 2 times a week now, am working with him at home and have started to take things away.  HELP!  

|

DrBMelton

You are frustrated and feel that you have tried everything to help your son be successful. An educational psychologist will confirm the information you cite from the school program. His learning disability means he has average or above average intelligence, but his achievement is below expectations from his IQ. He learns differently. You also describe him as disorganized and easily distracted, which may be attributed to Attention Deficit Disorder (with or without Hyperactivity). Diet, exercise, medication, and other interventions may be suggested by the school psychologist.

This feels discouraging right now, but you are advocating for your son and working with him to be more successful. Be careful not to put too much pressure on him. Punishing him is a form of attention. When he remembers to bring his homework, when he organizes his room, when he passes a test, when he turns in his work on time--- Praise him!! The times he does not follow-through-- Talk with him about your disappointment and let him know that he can do much better. You expect him to do his best.

0
0