Anonymous
Q:

9 yr. old afraid of being alone in life

Hi all,  A little background..  My 9 yr. old grandson has lived with me and his dad since birth.  Birth mom see's him on most weekends.  Grandson is very bright and intelligent. He is slightly overweight and taller than the kids in his class, and he says the kids in his class pick on him for that, and he says they tell him he's annoying.  I know that he gets loud and does demand attention in a way so I can understand why they'd say that.  

Anyway, the other night at dinner we started a conversation about phobias, and one thing led to another and we went online to read about different phobia's.  As he went down the list of phobia's and what they meant he said 'oh here's me...and he said the name of the phobia and it meant 'fear of being alone in life' or something like that.  And then he came across another phobia... something about fear of never finding someone to marry.  My point is all the phobia's he said he has were related to being lonely and spending his life alone.  

He doesn't really have any friends although the neighborhood kids do call for him occasionally on the weekend when they're playing tag or manhunt, but he's usually at his mom's or her sisters.  When he is outside playing with them he usually comes back in upset because someone called him a name.   He's in Karate and is doing well in that.  

I'm just worried about his self esteem and his need for attention which turns a lot of kids off and I don't what to do about it.  

Any suggestions?  

In Topics: Self esteem and identity

|
thedana
thedana writes:
tell him that being afraid is just an illusion,and he will not be alone in this life there is on this earth a billions of people .In this age he must live his life and he will know  how he isn't  alone.

0
0
Wayne Yankus writes:
celebrate and praise what he does well.  Seek outside activities that do not rely on school necessarily. Keep up karate and see if he can form a group around that.  Reassurance and attention will help.  Seek outside counseling if he seems to withdraw more.

0
0
smmom
smmom writes:
It sounds a lot like he may have an anxiety condition. My child suffers from anxiety as well. It really does no good to tell them not to worry. The worry comes from a physiological response in the brain which causes him to worry needlessly about things most of us would just brush off. He may need cognitive therapy and maybe even medication. I know it sounds like overkill but kids with anxiety who don't get proper treatment can grow up to be fearful and withdrawn. But he is still young and the earlier he gets interventions the more likely he will be able to grow up and live a happy life. Do a web search on childhood anxiety disorders. Its not just simply worrying. Kids with anxiety disorders have overactive amygdalas which cause them to produce excess amounts of adrenaline. It is a basic physiological disorder that can be successfully treated when caught early.

0
0