luvinE
luvinE asks:
Q:

How to add hispanic culture in a preschool room?

I'm a T.A. in a preschool room, we have a couple of things in the classrom but our cordinator would like us to add more...I not sure what else to add, so I need some good ideas! Have any that you could share with me?                                                            
                                                                                           thanks!!!!
In Topics: Learning a second language

|
Hello!

A great thing my son's preschool had was a basket of instruments that were of spanish origin (castanets, maracas, a cow bell, a child sized guitar, etc).   All the kids loved them and had a great time making hispanic (sounding) music.

Pinatas make great decorations to hang from the ceiling (and you can even do a unit where you let the kids make their own using paper mache covered balloons).

I also found this website that has lots of ideas.  Most are going to be too old for your kids but maybe you could modify them for the preschool set:  http://www.educationworld.com/a_lesson/lesson/lesson023.shtml

Good luck and I can't wait to see the other ideas you get!

Education.com Community Team

0
0
prekpages
prekpages writes:
The most important thing to have in the classroom to reflect and honor your student's ethnic diversity are books depicting their culture.  If you go to the public library and ask the children's librarian to help you find picture books that have Hispanic characters he or she will be happy to help you.  Make sure these books are displayed around the classroom and are also readily available to the students at all times in the classroom library.  

Another important thing to have are baby dolls in the dramatic play center that reflect the ethnicities of your students.  In my dramatic play center I have Caucasian, Hispanic, Asian, and African American baby dolls because that correctly reflects my student population.  Also, provide play food that reflects the cultures of your students.  Many of the popular school supply catalogs stock play foods from many different cultures.  

I have included a link below to a webpage that discusses the many different ways to have a multicultural preschool classroom.  If you click the "home" button at the bottom it will take you to the rest of the site where you can visit the dramatic play page and see pictures as well as the classroom library.

Best of luck,
Vanessa
Pre-K Pages dot com

0
0
sstetson
sstetson writes:
Another good idea is to create a lesson plan that centers around learning about Hispanic culture and incorporate things into each area such as in cooking, you can make a Mexican dish in dramatic play set it up like a Hispanic market place or just add in some Hispanic attire such as sombreros, Mexican skirts, and Quechquémitl.  You can also add Spanish language into your lesson plan for the week, as well as books to the library.  This can also be a longer lesson if you need it to go on for a longer period of time.

0
0