Anonymous
Q:

I am an adult professional occupational therapist and I think I may have executive functioning skill deficits.  How do I help myself?

In Topics: Learning disabilities

|

DrSheldonHorowitz

Thanks for this question. We most often hear from adults who are asking questions about their children. And your words remind us all that learning disabilities are equal opportunity disorders, they do not discriminate by age or stage in a persons life journey, and they are lifelong. My first suggestion to you would be to reflect upon your earlier years at home, in school and at play. Think about whether you struggled when it came to planning, organizing, strategizing, paying attention to and remembering details, and managing time and space. If so, you likely need no further assessment (how easy was that!).  There is, of course, the possibility that your difficulties are related to an underlying disorder of attention. A consultation with a psychiatrist or other physician who specializes in ADHD might be something to consider.  

With regard to how to overcome these difficulties, you have many options, and it will be up to you to discover which one(s) fit the bill for you. Some things to consider are simple and free (i.e., checklists, calendars and advanced organizers), others readily available but with a price tag (i.e., smart phone features, annotation software). For an expanded list of ideas and  to gain further insight, visit the www.LD.org website and see http://www.ncld.org/ld-basics/ld-aamp-executive-functioning.

0
0