CleverDan520
CleverDan520 asks:
Q:

What is the right age to start dating, and to what extent?

What age should kids be allowed to date or have a girlfiend or boyfriend? And to what extent? Like hanging out at school and talking on the phone together or going to movie and different places like that.
In Topics: Teen sexuality and dating

|

There are a number of views on that "right" age for a teen to start dating. I personally believe that you should make the decision for your children based upon your own personal beliefs and an understanding of your teen's emotional and physical development.

You should know that there is research that demonstrates that children ages 10-12 who begin steady dating often do more poorly in school and have more behavior problems. Thus, there is some agreement as to what is too "young", but there is little understanding of a universal right age. Most experts believe that if teens under age 15 are allowed to date, they should engage in group dates exclusively and a responsible adult should be present.

For more on teen dating, take a look at the following article and section of this website:

http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_Teens_Dating_Tips/

http://www.education.com/reference/topic/TeenYears_TeenDatingAndSex/

Education.com Team

14
1

armandany
armandany writes:
Step by step instructions to Hire Online Content Writers And Writing Services

0
0
edlere
edlere writes:
I have no idea now that I live in the western world. if this question was centred on my background as a child I will say 15. I had my first at 19 which looks too old by the westerners' standard.

0
0
chubbybear
chubbybear writes:
When you want to start dating i suggest it should be 16 years maximum

1
0
chubbybear
chubbybear writes:

1
0
tatertot99999
tatertot99999 writes:
Well... maybe it depends on how serious the relationship is. If they are 7 years old and making out, then you're screwed! If they are just sort of goofing off together, and only a couple side hugs here and there, then that's OK. The time for a serious relationship is probably when they enter middle school. And if they are young, have a chaperone.

1
0
Notamod
Notamod writes:
I am in 9th grade myself and at my school people are dating even in the 7th grade. (which is 12-13 yr olds). Most of them only go to movies and things like that, so, nothing too serious happens MOST of the time, just have good communication between them and you will be fine. I tried dating once and it was mostly texting and hanging out at school. After the experience, I think the perfect age to start dating is 16 because: 1. You can have your own car, 2. You can get a job so you can pay for dates. Whatever the age you set for your children DONT make it too high or they will just date behind your back and serious things can happen. Remember: communication and trust are key.

0
0