Anonymous
Q:

When's appropriate age/grade for children to learn about puberty, sex and Aids ? In my child's school district they are starting this in 4th grade.

They start in 4th grade thru 6th grade apparently but seems too young to start this. She still believes in tooth fairy and santa !!
In Topics: Teen sexuality and dating

|

Fourth grade is about right.  Children in America are reaching puberty earlier.  Two events happen in third and fourth grades for some children.  Sometimes there is a sudden growth spurt which involves body odor or mild breast budding in girls or underarm hair.  Often these signs recede, stay the same for some time, or advances slowly into puberty. Girls are menstruating earlier these days in the fifth grade to seventh. Boys change voices at about 13.  Of course, this is affected by family history, ethnicity, and state of health. In fourth grade,most health classes may mention growth, what is normal or expected in time. You can take an active role to allay any concerns by discussing with your daughter what are your comfortable basics. That usually suffices fourth graders.

expert Panelist: pediatrics

1
0

ashita21
ashita21 , Student writes:
4th grade is about appropriate for education on puberty...  they probably do it 4th through 6th grade so that the information can be given gradually. sex and aids should be informed about around 13 years of age wen puberty hits... so that they actually understand wat is being spoken about!

0
0
bob , Parent writes:
Just to punctuate Dr. Yankus' response, this was a 7th grade topic when I was in grade school mid-late 60s).  At the time, we all felt like it was old news so even then it could have been taught earlier.  But, as Dr. Yankus said, kids a re reaching puberty sooner - certain my kids and their friends did.

So...7th grade in the 60s minus one or so grades because it was later than it should have been even then, minus one or so grades because kids are reaching puberty earlier.  That gets us pretty squarely on fourth grade.

0
0
New'New
New'New , Student writes:
I learn in the 4th grade, I am in 8th now! They gave us Maxi Pads but I didn't start my period until 7th grade!

0
0