nicolle asks:

How can an American preschool teacher devoted to the reggio emilia aproach help a distress child?

A girl who is 4 years old is new to the school and is easel painting for her first time. She is distressed because the paint keeps running and dripping down as she paints. I would like to know how an American preschool teacher devoted to the discovery aproach might handle her predicament and compare it with the way a teacher from "Reggio Emilia" would be likely to handle it.
In Topics: Preschool

risalea writes:
Give the young lady the tools she needs: for instance, if she is distressed about running paint, ask her if she can think of something she could do to remove the excess paint from the brush.  If this is bothering her to the point that she is not enjoying painting, I'd have no qualms (no matter what approach I was trying to follow), to demonstrate how she could wipe the brush on the edge of the paint cup if she didn't come up with an idea of her own.