unclebob
unclebob asks:
Q:

Is there an argument that a 6 year old, carrying excess fat, is gearing up for a growth spurt?

6 years old, projected by physician to be 6'8" at adulthood, is nearing 100 pounds but is the tallest in his class, probably in the range of 4'6" right now.  He is clearly visually overweight at this time but I do not have a BMI reading.  Is it possible his body is reserving fat stores for growth energy?

Question asked after reading: http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_...
In Topics: Physical development, Exercise and fitness

|

Dear Uncle Bob:

A boy who is 6 years old with these stats is still obese, and no, he is not saving it for a growth spurt.  I would be sure to have his parents meet with the pediatrician to be sure this is not a blossoming medical condition. Boys do tend to have growth spurts throughout child hood, but I would ask the pediatrician to re evaluate his growth with the full chart available.

0
0