Muzette
Muzette asks:
Q:

I am from Aruba and need to know if it's possible that my kids can stay 2 weeks with me and 2 weeks with their father?

Also, will that can affect them psychologically? If anybody knows a case, please also include that info in your answer.
In Topics: Parenting / Our Family, Child care, Single parent families

|

Hi Muzette,

It would help to know more about your situation in order to get you the best answers. For instance...

>Where does the father live: in Aruba also, or in another country? If another country, you'll need to explore that country's immigration and/or tourism policies with regards to your children.

>Were you and the father married, and then divorced? If so, the answer to your question may lie in your divorce settlement or the custody court order that came out of the divorce proceedings.

>How does the father feel about the arrangement you describe (i.e., two weeks with you, two weeks with him)? Are you suggesting this as a perpetual cycle in which the children are shuttled back and forth between you every two weeks?  

>How about the children: how old are they and what are their wishes? If the children are school-age, are they home schooled (so that the back and forth between you and the father wouldn't be an issue with the school)?

If divorce is part of your situation, there are some free resources on Education.com you might review, including the Divorce Issues info center: http://www.education.com/topic/divorce-issues-in-the-family/

Another related article: How Can I Help My Child Cope With Divorce?
http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_How_Can_I_Help_2/

Please do post a comment to your question with more information, so that members of the JustAsk community can provide suggestions specific to your situation. Thank you!

2
0
Anonymous