Anonymous
Q:

I have asked my daughter to help start a ANTI BULLYING campaign at her school.  She is hesitant. How can I convince her this is a good thing to do.

There was a death this week in a neighboring school because of bullying. Too much of this is going on and it has to stop. My daughter is a Sophmore and has a Sr. Project due in 2 1/2 yrs. I have asked her to consider starting a Anti Bullying campaign at her school.  For many reasons. For the 1st reason, right now a Anti Bullying item, wristbands, or teeshirts, to help the family pay for the funeral, that they are having a hard time paying for, then move on to other things, like education on bullying, and group watches, helping the schools with plans on how to make it work in their schools. It does not have to just stick with her school, but move across the district.  It just seems the school talk about it so it was done then they forget about it and issues get swept under the carpet. It can not continue.  So much anger and hurt, just needs some time and caring and consideration. It can be something good that can help a lot of children.
I just need some help convincing my daughter a few of her friends that this is a good thing and to not be afraid of it. Suggestions please.
In Topics: My Relationship with my child's school, Teen issues, Bullying and teasing

|

Nebraska

I think that's a great idea for her senior project. Maybe you could meet with a teacher and/or administrator at the school and see if a few kids could jointly take this on as a senior project. Your daughter might be more willing to get involved in an anti-bullying campaign if she works on it with a few friends and with support from the school administration. An anti-bullying campaign is a lot of work, so getting school support will be important. If the school administration offers to help them out, maybe they'll be more likely to want to get involved.
1
0

rkaiulani
rkaiulani writes:
This is an interesting question. It can sometimes seem like asking or encouraging your teenage to do something is the surest way to make sure they DON'T do it. I think that while this sounds like a wonderful cause and a great idea, ultimately your daughter's project is up to her to decide upon. I would advise you to help your child through the process of deciding on her project and guide her towards a topic that is both exciting to her and a valuable academic endeavor. Her extracurricular, club and social pursuits should serve her unique interests, and will hopefully include some form of social engagement in her school or community.

1
0
Marebear
Marebear , Student writes:
Your daughter and her friends are most likely hesitant to join this cause, because they think it will make them seem *dorky* to the other kids in their school. Maybe you should have them do less public work, and more paperwork things. This will make them feel better, and you will most likely get results. I personally believe that this is a wonderful cause. I would love to help out!

2
0
EdieRaether
EdieRaether , Teacher writes:
Ms. Anonymous,
Please let me help your daughter.  I have bracelets...Be a Buddy - Not a Bully and are free....just a shipping charge.  
They can make a buck or two per bracelet.
I also have guidelines and blogs on how to start a campaign which is also in my book soon to be released....Stop Bullying Now!
Go to www.stopbullyingwithedie.com and if she can't find the guidelines on how to start a campaign....email me and I will send them to her.
Also...there an eBook with tons of tips.
Have her contact me here or on facebook.
Also, if you could forward more information on the tragedy nearby, please do.  It won't get better unless people take action.
Happy to help!!
Edie Raether  
The Bully Buster

0
0
Gega
Gega writes:
please encourage her to stand up for here friends and other students. my daughter was bullied and tormented in school no one stood up for her . the staff and students knew what was going on. i am working on getting stricter laws and more education. sadly she paid the ultimate price and commited suicide on December 2, 2010 our family will never be the same. I am talking in front of the school board have contacted the media my congress man there is anti bullying bill in front of the Senate in the name of a 13 yr old boy who took his own life. the is a serious problem. next tshirts and bullying walk and suicide walk. we have ordered wrist bands in her memory with her name and Kindness Matter. we must all take a stand. let me know if l can help with your fightloving mother.

0
0
teabag
teabag writes:
oh that is said

0
0
Motamouth52
Motamouth52 writes:
that is so sad but you know the people that are bullies are not very nice so they should be arrested for attempted murder

0
0
moodymomma96
moodymomma96 writes:
I would also like for my kids to start an anti bullying campaign.  I'm not sure how to go about any of it either.  My 10 year old daughter and her 13 year old best friend have been victims of bullying for the past year.  It seems to be the same group of kids that bully them. We have told the teachers, principal, and even got the police involved, and nothing happens!  My email is moodymomma96@yahoo.com.  Please email me if you have time and can.  I would like to be able to talk with someone who has had and is going through the same problems as I am with our kids getting bullied.

0
0
Anonymous