Q:

Can our baby go blind or have a lazy eye from having probes placed in her tear ducts? What are the risks of this operation?

"My daughter was born on 34 weeks pregnancy. She is now 1 year old and 2 weeks. She has had consistent issues with eye infections, and my wife and I, took her to see a Pediatric Opthamologist who is now recommending the operation to place the probes in her tear ducts due to an obstruction. We are now feeling concerned on what risks may my daughter be facing having the operation done. Could she go blind? Have a Lazy eye? What are the risks involved with an operation like this? in every sense."

Asked by Mitchell via email.
In Topics: Physical Health, Medical problems

|

Blocked tear ducts are very common during infancy.  They open up spontaneously between 9 and 12 months of age.  If they do not, the child needs to see an ophthalmologist for a procedure to open them up.
The eye doctor should have provided you with all the information regarding potential risks of the surgery.  If you have additional questions, please call his or her office.

You can read more about the procedure at:

http://kidshealth.org/parent/general/eyes/tear_duct_obstruct_surgery.html#a_Treating_Blocked_Tear_Ducts

0
0