ayeshamom
ayeshamom asks:
Q:

My baby girl got an extra polio dose. Can this error hurt my baby?

My 18 month old baby got her fourth polio immunization yesterday ( OPV). Her doctor did not read her immunization records carefully enough and gave her an extra dose. She had recieved earlier ones at 2 mnts, 4 mnts and 7 mnts. Can this error hurt my baby? And should she get her Polio booster at 4-6 years old since it will be a fifth one.
In Topics: Physical Health

|

No it should not hurt a child with normal immunity. However, you noted OPV which is not used in the USA anymore. What is used is the inactivated vaccine. Speak to her pediatrician and ask about the dose. The 4-6 year old booster should be done at the usual time, but your doctor will tell you. Go on line to www.aap.org and www.healthychildren.org and ask this question of the pediatric infectious disease experts.  

1
0

ayeshamom
ayeshamom writes:
Thank you Dr.
My daughter had received IPV in the states. However we are currently in India and here only OPV is administered.

1
0