deedy580
deedy580 asks:
Q:

why is she behaving this way?

I have a 6 yr. old grand-daughter that has been lashing out,and when confronted about her behavior she goes into this cold distant stare and will not make contact with your eyes,recently I was contacted by her teacher who told me she was trying to get her to read a word that she was pointing to and my grand-daughter,physicly pushed her hand off her paper, and she is being mean to other kids on the playground.
In Topics: Anxiety, Discipline and behavior challenges

|
EdEd
EdEd writes:
The good news is you're asking the right question! So many people start off my saying, "This is what my child's doing - what should I do?" They skipped the most important part, which you remembered - before asking what to do, asking "Why is this happening?"

Unfortunately, there are a lot of possible explanations, and you'll probably want to find someone who has experience with behavioral issues to help figure it out with you, such as a guidance counselor at school or a mental health counselor. There are tens if not hundreds of different things that could be going on, and someone with experience who can work directly with your grand-daughter will be in a good position to help you with that answer!

0
0
dakord
dakord writes:
She may be presenting with an undiagnosed mental health condition such as depression.  She might be presenting symptoms of Autism, ADHD, need social skills therapy, a number of issues that a professional in pediatric development can help identify.
Folk become defensive or fearful of "mental illness," but STRESS is a form of mental illness.  I suggest a psych-ed or neuro-psych eval which can be done, for free, at her public school.  Parents may opt to fund this privately AND request the free eval through school.
If she has a mood disorder it will affect her behavior; if she has a sleep imbalance it will affect her behavior; if she has other socio-emotional challenges or PDD, (pervasive developmental disorder) she requires support and patience.  I encourage the family to begin with an evaluation, for the little one's sake.  The teacher could have requested an evaluation, if this is a public school.  If the school is private, parents may go with a private eval which insurance should cover.  Good luck, god bless!

0
0