sonia1966
sonia1966 asks:
Q:

Behavior problem talkative

My 8 years old son goes to a private school in United Arab Emirates and follows American Curriculum. English and Arabic are his second languages. I am a single parent. The teachers over there punish him for being too talkative during lessons. My son said, that he is feeling boring after finishes his class work and starts to talk. The teachers expect that all children in class remains quite for a long period. I need some solutions to express this to the principal (European background...)...Mostly he is the first who finishes his tasks...he is a smart boy...Who can give some ideas to help him out, because he starts to dislike the school...Thanks for support!

|
MomSOS
MomSOS , Child Professional, Caregiver, Parent writes:
Your problem is interesting because there are cultural issues involved here.
Of course you do not want your child to be punished or stigmatized for talking when he is bored; however, there are indeed school rules and protocols that he must follow. I might suggest you consider discussing with teachers, principal and other staff the ways in which your son can be stimulated in his learning tasks and projects, so that he has plenty to do and becomes motivated rather than bored.

It is probably in the best interest of your son to refrain from criticizing the staff, but rather seek to engage their special talents and gifts to help your son enjoy his school day and his educational experience.

Good luck and let us know how he is doing.

Bette J. Freedson, LICSW, LCSW, CGP

1
1
antoinedbz
antoinedbz writes:
I talk a lot to but my teacher also looks at me all the time to see if I was talking

1
1
ChiefLaughALot
ChiefLaughA... writes:
My child had a similar situation. We were able to work it out that my son was able to move to a different area of the classroom (in grade 2,3 and 4) and work on other things (sometimes he would draw, other times he would work with the math manipulatives etc). In grade 5 and up he was able to become a "peer" advisor and go to the K and grade 1 classrooms and be a "teachers" helper and help with reading circle and art time. See if some of those options are available.

0
0