concerned09
concerned09 asks:
Q:

I'm looking for books that a 12 yr old girl would enjoy and learn from. Any suggestions?

She's a 12 year old girl that looks like she's 16-17 and knows it. She lives with her single working mother and is having a hard time dealing with every day situations with her mother and boyfriend.  She got her period when she was 10.  Her hormones are working, flirting with older boys.  Starting to lie to Mom too.  Any suggestions?
In Topics: Recommended Books, My child's growth and development, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

Long talks, lots of support, discuss resiliency, and empower her to make good choices.  Check with your local YWCA for such programs.  Go to your local library or online and ask the same question.  Good for you for being perceptive and caring.

2
0

Hi, There are some book recommendations in the Education.com Gift Guide that may be interesting and appropriate for the 12 year old you mention:
http://www.education.com/gift-guide/middle-school/page2/

You might also review the options in this "Top Middle School/Teen Books" info center:
http://www.education.com/topic/books-middle-school/

Below are some additional resources that may be helpful to the girl and her family.

1
0
popprincess
popprincess writes:
try giving her books by Sharon M. Draper, or Sharon G. Flake i loved those books, and thought they had very good meanings to them.

2
0
Hi, Here's another article on Education.com that helps to answer your question...

Book Therapy: A Middle School Reading List
http://www.education.com/magazine/article/Books_Middle_School_Medicine/

2
0
My ten-year-old loves Archie comics. They have a new graphic novel out called Katy Keene. Try exposing her to these. They have a lot that boy stuff and teen issues in them but in a clean comical way.

1
0
mommacares
mommacares writes:
There is a great book called Ima Nobody Becomes Somebody! It deals with the issue of bullying and it makes kids question both sides of the issue. It teaches kids to not let any one define you by your name. It is a faith based book that introduces kids to God. It is a great beginners chapter book. It teaches kids about self worth, strengths, and weaknesses. I have a fourth and fifth grader and both liked the book. I hope that this helps.

2
0
teacherauthor
teacherauthor writes:
I think a touching book about a teenager who got in trouble is
"Notes from the Midnight Driver" by Jordan Sonnenblick.  Did you see the Amazon list of great books for adolescent girls?

0
0
Peachbottom
Peachbottom writes:
try Junie B. Jones they're really good books

0
0
New'New
New'New , Student writes:
Some really good books are by the author named Sharon G. Flake she uses a lot of realistic fiction in her books. I think this would be great for her. I read all of her books when I was 12 and she was my favorite author, please do check her out!!!

0
0
Relle
Relle , Student writes:
Tears of a tiger, Darkness before Dawn and Forged by fire by Sharon Draper are all good books that your child will learn something from for sure.

0
0
Anonymous