monkey7
monkey7 asks:
Q:

Are there any books that can teach my mentally challenged 15 year old son about puberty?

I am a mother of a 15yr old son that has bypolar and other mental disabilites and I'm trying to find a book, or someone out there that is going thru or has gone thru the teaching of puberty to a child with disabilites...I'm a mom of a 18 old daughter too but never had to go thru this with her...how do you explain to a child that is about 4 yrs behind mentally that this or that is going to happen and when it does not to be scared about..and how do you teach boundiers over male and female..I'm lost ..Hopefully there is a book out there or some help...I want my son to have Christain values teaching him but not sure where to start...
In Topics: Teen sexuality and dating, Communicating with my child (The tough talks)

|

Start by asking your pediatrician.  Our offices have many resources to explain to children with delayed understanding what puberty is all about.  Look at community resources such as ARC or support groups for parents of children with developmental delay who have done this or ask his teachers.  I am sure they have handled the boundary issues before.  It will take reassurance, reminding, and reinforcement of the behavior you expect.  A good start is to use hygiene as an example-e.g. bathing, deodorant etc...You can then switch to the changes he may expect.

Try www.aap.org (American Academy of Pediatrics) and see what is available to you for reading material.

Wayne A. Yankus, MD, FAAP

1
1

miraclemom
miraclemom writes:
BOOK IS CALLED  AUTISM-ASPERGER'S  &  SEXUALITY  PUBERTY AND BEYOND BY JERRY AND MARY NEWPORT,.MM

0
0