Amanda28c
Amanda28c asks:
Q:

how to break down the sentence into a diagram
the peasants wife promised that the money should be paid next week but she would not pay it herself

In Topics: Helping my child with writing, Helping my child with school work and home work

|
rkaiulani
rkaiulani writes:
Hi Amanda,

That depends on how you want to break down this sentence. "The peasant's wife" is the subject, "promised" is the verb, and "the money" is the object ... how detailed do you need to go?

0
1
I always loved diagramming sentences as I am a HUGE English fan.  

Under each word in your sentence, I will type the part of speech in abbreviation form and then I will provide you with a legend to explain.

The       peasants    wife         promised         that              the      
(adj)       (adj)     (noun)         (verb)        (dem. adj)      (adj)

money      should   be                paid         next        week  
(noun)     (linking verb)            (verb)       (adj)      (noun)

but        she      would   not      pay        it               herself.
(conj)     (pn)    (linking verb)   (verb)  (per.pn)      (refl. pn)

LEGEND:
adj-adjective
dem.adj- demonstrative adjective
conj-conjunction
pn-pronoun
per.pn-personal pronoun
refl.pn-reflexive pronoun

There are 3 types of sentences:
1)Simple  2) Compound   3) Complex

The sentence you provided, is known as a complex sentence.

To separate the sentence parts, divide between the noun/verb and you will have to do it twice before the conjunction and once again after the conjunction.

I've included some links for you to look at to help with the diagramming of sentences.  You may want to print these pages for reference in the future.  Happy Studying!

1
0
I typed and entered my answer to you and then noticed that, well, you may not understand what I meant when I said to separate the sentence into 3 parts, so let me break it down for you better.

subject/verb
wife/promised

subject/verb
money/should be

subject/verb
she/ would not

You probably already realized what I meant, but I wanted to be sure so that you wouldn't get confused.  

Karen

0
0
Hi Amanda28c,

After entering my answer, I just had this feeling that something wasn't right about subject/verb (I don't know why I had that in my head) while going about my business, it occurred to me what--so I'm writing to you again, the subject contains the noun and the PREDICATE contains the verb.  So sorry for that!

So when you divide the sentence and label it is:
subject / predicate   and NOT subject / verb

Once again, I hope that my answers helped, even if it did take 3 times to get it all for you.

0
0