Karenmom asks:
Q:

Are canned beans as healthy as the dried beans?

Although it is much easier to open a can of beans, would it be better to prepare dried beans myself.  I'm concerned about the sodium that we find in canned goods but I don't want to risk cooking out the nutrients such as the fiber and iron OR is there even such a thing as cooking out the fiber or iron???  Any tips on preparing garbonza beans (chick peas) would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance!
In Topics: Nutrition

|

Beans are among the most versatile and nutritious foods available. They are low in fat and high in protein and insoluble fiber.

Canned and dry beans are equally healthy, Although some people can taste the difference and prefer using dry beans over the canned.  When using canned beans, remember to rinse them to remove excess of sodium and store them in a separate container.

2
0
CJA829

Best Answer!

Hi Karenmom,

There are definitely advantages to preparing beans yourself from dried. The initial process may take a bit longer than popping open a can, but you'll have more control over the ingredients and really get to know what's in your beans, like less sodium. The sodium content is one of the major nutritional differences between canned and dried.

I wouldn't worry about cooking out the fiber or iron!

I know that chick peas take a day to prepare, from soaking in water overnight (they expand so make sure to leave enough room in the bowl for them to do that).

Below I linked a couple of articles about canned v. dried beans.
I hope this helps!

~CJ
0
0