Anonymous
Q:

My child is five and attends kindergarten in California.  I no longer want her to attend kindergarten.  Is it illegal to take a child out of K?

Can I just tell the school that my child is no longer going to attend?  Will truancy officers come knocking at my door? Do I have to enroll her into another school immediately (to avoid any legal problems, if any) or can I wait until she is 6 years old in September to enroll her into Kindergarten or the first grade.
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness, Back to school, My Relationship with my child's school

|
valerieann
valerieann writes:
In Texas, Kindergarten is not required.

0
0
englishmomincalifornia
englishmomi... writes:
In California it is compulsory for a child to attend school from the age of 6 through 18 years old. It is not compulsory to enroll a child in Kindergarten but if you do there are age restrictions such as the child needs to have turned 5 years old by 2nd December. This is what makes "redshirting" commonplace.
Therefore I don't think it would be illegal to take a child out of K seeing as they are not legally obliged to be there in the first place, however I would check with your school district to find out if there are any other implications such as the funding of a child who is not there anymore.

2
0
No.

0
0
Anonymous