MD86
MD86 asks:
Q:

Is it possible for a child to believe that he or she deserves to be bullied when they are being bullied ??

Bullying

Question asked after reading: http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_...

|

Hey there,

We're so glad you took the time to reach out to us today for some help with your child. Bullying is certainly a major problem within and outside of our school systems, so it really is a great step to reach out to see what common outcomes of bullying are and how being bullied can impact the victims.

When a child is being bullied repeatedly, they can develop a sort of "I must deserve this" attitude. As we both know, however, no child deserves to be the victim of bullying no matter how they act, dress, or appear. Remember, that parents, care givers, and school faculty can really serve as the biggest advocates for help for a child who is being the victim of bullying. Also, if the effects of bullying are so pronounced that the child is actually believing they deserve to be treated this when, then perhaps having them work with a counselor would be a great way to help them find and grow the self-esteem back to its normal, healthy level.

Check this out: http://www.yourlifeyourvoice.org/DiscoverIt/Articles/Pages/Bullying.aspx

If you’re ever having issues that you feel like you need to talk about directly, don’t hesitate to call 1-800-448-3000 any time, 24 hours a day!  Boys Town Counselors are always available over the phone or online at www.yourlifeyourvoice.org

Boys Town Counselor Flanigan

0
0

jettesette
jettesette writes:
It certainly is! I was bullied very badly in the 6th grade, and I was absolutely convinced that there was something freakishly abnormal about me that everybody else could sense but me - and of course, the fact that I couldn't see it was just further proof of how abnormal I really was. I was only bullied for 1 school year, and this was 30 years ago, but things were so bad they triggered many years of severe depression & self esteem issues that I had to work very hard to get past - because I believed, for a very very long time, that I DESERVED IT.

Please, please, please, seek help for the child in question immediately - professional therapeutic help, the school administration's help - whoever and whatever it takes to get the child to a safe and healthy emotional place. I managed to hang on by the skin of my teeth, but I could just as easily have become a tragic statistic. Don't let that happen to this child.

Best of luck!

0
0
elizabethlute
elizabethlute writes:
i dont know, i think, because i was bullied.  that for me, to just deal with it.  i was more about rolling with it instead of against it so maybe its an individual thing

0
0