hithere33
hithere33 asks:
Q:

Did my child fail or not?

She is a 9th grader and I really don't know much about high school since it's been a while. I wanted to know if she failed the school year or not because on her report card it says she did. When she really only failed 2 class, but she didn't receive credit due to missing days so she is doing time for time over the summer for the classes she passed, I want to know if she failed or not since she is really upset and so am I.

|

DrBMelton

In high school, students must earn Carnegie units of credit to pass to the next grade level. The state requirements for grade level and graduation are available through the school district.  If a student earns 5.0 credits, he or she will be designated as a 10th grader.

Your daughter passed all but two classes, but was denied credit because she was absence over the state-required number of days. In Texas, for instance, the student needs to be present 90% (excused or unexcused). (see the website below) She is allowed to makeup those courses during summer school. She may also be working on the two classes she failed. Attendance is an important factor since Average Daily Attendance (ADA) determines funding for the school.
0
0