dgraab , Parent asks:
Q:

What is your child's favorite poem or book of poems?

Our soon-to-be third grader needs to memorize a poem, and we're curious which poems other children are particularly enjoying currently. Thanks for sharing!
In Topics: Helping my child with reading, Creative arts

|
Riebeth

Best Answer!

My children's grade school had a big yearly contest in which kids memorized poems and read them aloud. It was for the 3rd through 5th grades.

You'd be surprised what kids can do even in 3rd grade. That first year, both my kids had "Jabberwocky" down in a single afternoon. They both (rather redundantly) recited it for the assembled school. The appeal there is the cool language; kids at that point are just reading, and the sounds of Lewis Carroll's imaginary words won them over.

(Most of the rest of the class will be using Shel Silverstein's "Where the Sidewalk Ends" poems, if my experience is any indication.)

1
0

writingteacher
writingteac... writes:
My son, who was never much for poetry, always enjoyed "Kids Pick The Funniest Poems," edited by Bruce Lansky. It appears to still be in print.

1
0
My favorite children's poetry book, hands-down, is Robert Louis Stevenson's "A Child's Garden of Verses." My grandmother gave it to me when I was little, and I still have the same copy with beautiful watercolor illustrations.

I can still recite 'The Swing' by heart. (I've included a link to it below; it's a very brief, but sweet poem.)

I also second Shel Silverstein's "Where the Sidewalk Ends." A classic!

1
0
Anonymous