concernedme
concernedme asks:
Q:

My child's kindergaten teacher took away 5 mins of recess 3 hrs after school began. Thoughts?

My child is attending a charter school for Kindergarten. I understand that children need structure and routine. I feel as if my child's teacher is too strict and isnt making class enjoyable. My child just turned 5 before Kindergarten so I understand she is slightly more immature. On the first day of school when we dropped my child off the teacher did nothing to reassure my child or us, she told my daughter to sit at her desk and began coloring. She sent a note home the first day saying that my child had time out and lost 5 mins off of her recess for being very talkative. The second day of school my child recieved another 5 mins off of her recess for not listening to the teacher and cutting paper at her desk and gluing it back together. On the second day of school the teacher called me at work because my child wouldnt listen and wanted some insite. I told the teacher that my child said she yelled at her, and that sometimes when my child get scared or nervous she has a tough time staying focused. The teacher told me that I should take that with a grain of salt. She claimed that if my child was scared of her then she would listen to her. My child also told me that the teacher made her stand in the corner with her hands behind her back for a very long time because she was being "bad" Maybe Im just being over protective of my child but I feel like the teacher seems more like a drill sargeant, and not giving my child enough time to learn the rules. Hopefully day 3 will be better??
In Topics: Back to school, Kindergarten readiness

|
pigtoria
pigtoria writes:
Hi Concernedme,

I don’t believe that recess should be a reward.  It should be treated as part of the school curriculum.  If all kids are required to learn math, language arts, social studies daily then kids are required to take their 10 minutes recess twice a day.  

Although most parents don’t agree with using recess as a punishment, I found that it’s a common practice among school-age teachers.  Last year, my son had a drill sergeant as a teacher and she often send the kids to the office during recess for misbehaving or turning in late homework.  Each time I hear the teacher say, “you’re going to the office for recess,” my stomach turned upside.  At one point, I’ve thought about reporting the teacher’s behavior to the principal but after observing the kids, I really didn’t see any damage (emotionally or psychologically) done.  This drill sergeant is one of the best teachers at my son’s school.  She is a mother who raised two successful children – an engineer and an architect.  I don’t agree with her ways of disciplining her students but I must say that her discipline techniques do work.  After about two months after school started, no more kids were sent to the office – the kids all knew what the teacher is expecting from them and they do them accordingly to “earn” their recess time.

I am not saying that taking away children’s recess time is right but it seems to work in disciplining some kids.

Vicki

0
0
momofmany75
momofmany75 writes:
I don't agree with this teacher's methods and I would say something to her about it myself.  And on the first day of school?  Are you serious?  These are Kindergarteners afterall.  I agree that school has become more of a boot camp than school.  I live in Texas and the kids have to take state mandated tests called the TAKS test.  I feel that the most important thing in my district is how well they rate on this test, and not how well the kids are actually doing or learning.  It's all about making the schools look good.  

In Kindergarten especially, I believe recess is just as important as anything else.  They are small children and don't have long attention spans.  They need down time and time to play with friends.  For most schools, Kindergarten is now all day and the children have to be able to read by the time they go to 1st grade.  When I went to Kindergarten, it was only for 3 hours.  Pre-K is now what Kindergarten once was.  Things have changed a lot.

Just remember that you are your child's only advocate.  For most schools, our kids are just numbers to them.  But for us as parents, they are much more than that.  Never be afraid to say something to your child's teacher or the principal.

I just began homeschooling my children because I have just had it with public school.

Never be afraid to stand up for your child!

Take Care,
Michele

0
0
lynellen
lynellen writes:
I too hope day 3 is better.  Please watch your child's emotional and physcial state carefully and give her opportunities to express her feelings.  A child can react physcially with stomach aches, headaches, etc as a means to cope with a stressful situation.  Would talking with your principal or school counselor help?

0
0