Alexa_mommy1
Alexa_mommy1 asks:
Q:

MY child plays alone at day care and doctor said she might have autism

So I took my daughter to te doctor today to go get her 1 year old shots. The dr asked me how day care was going. I told him it was going good but I had noticed that when I went to go pick her up she was playing in a corner alone no even playing with the other kids. So he said he would have to do a screening to see if she is autistic. I'm really nervous now. In my mind I just feel just cause she's the only child she has been alone. Can my child really have this or could she just be independent
In Topics: My child's growth and development, Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|

Autism is a complicated disorder and not easily diagnosed.  It also should be considered a "team" effort.  Please consider contacting your local school district and asking for a meeting with the early intervention team. They can work with the doctor and assess your daughter's development over a  wide range of skills.

IF your child is diagnosed with autism, please write back for additional resources.  In the meantime, I would recommend that contacting an early intervention team, as your first step, if for no other reason to get a baseline of your child's development and for peace of mind.

And yes, your child could be independent and not ready to interact with lots of children which is why she prefers to be alone.

Here are some books/resources on the development of young children to help you:

The Birth to Three Book by Brenda Nixon

What to Expect- the Toddler Years by Heidi Murkoff
(The website is wonderful: http://www.whattoexpect.com/first-year/landing-page.aspx)

Proactive Parenting: http://proactiveparenting.net/

Early Childhood News:  http://www.earlychildhoodnews.net/

Good luck and don't hesitate to write back.

0
0
palominoprincess

Best Answer!

If your daughter interacts and communicates (as much as a 1 year old can) with you and other family members, I don't think you have much to worry about.  If she does sometimes play with other children and interacts with daycare providers, she's probably just choosing to play by herself.  I suggest asking the daycare providers what her typical play is like.  Does she play with other children during parts of the day?  It's possible that by the time you come to pick her up she just wants some alone time.  

You would more than likely notice lack of interaction and communication at home long before you suspected a problem.  My brother has an autistic child, and we could all tell before she was officially diagnosed.  If she doesn't want to spend time with you, doesn't like to snuggle, be read to, played with, etc, then she may be.  If that's not the case, she's probably just fine.  Honestly, these are questions your pediatrician should have asked you prior to saying she needed an evaluation.
1
0

mizz.schoolgurl
mizz.school... writes:
well from me i think your kid might have it to so one day your kid will be the kid that has alot of friends.

0
2
2kiddad
2kiddad writes:
I wouldn't worry at all both of my kids hardly played with other kids in preschool once they got to elementary school now i cant get them home from playing

0
0