Anonymous
Q:

Is it okay to make the child repeat class 2 if he has focus and speed issues, however can pass and take average grades ?

My Son who was a jumper i.e. he did not study grade 1 due to age policy in his school was admitted in grade 2 directly, recently he was prompted to grade 3. Looking at all his class copies he has issues coping up with work in class, does not retain most of knowledge / information. His math concepts are not clear, wrote only three lines in Essay writing where as he had to write three short paragraphs. Most of his spellings are wrong, while school persists he will catch up in class 3 however we fear he is just 6 and a half and moving him to class 3 will put extra pressure while his basic concepts are not concrete. This will push him back in studies for years to come. However looking at physiological dilemma of being detained in a class is confusing us.  Need expert advice. What would be right for him ?

|

This is a difficult situation and after reading your description of the problem,i can see why you are frustrated.  You want what is best for your son.

Here are some things to consider:

Find out what the retention guidelines and timeline are for your son's schools.  Also what are the retention considerations for later years.  For example, most states have a mandatory retention in 3rd grade if a child doesn't pass the state test.  The reason I point this out is that the school may be thinking it is best to retain later rather than now.  

Contact the ESE specialist for the school.  See what she has to say.  Find if your son is up for any type of screening or testing to see if there is a learning problem.  If you can't get a hold of the ESE specialist because it is summer, ask to speak with the principal.

Gather evidence.  Any test papers, classroom, teacher notes and comments, anything that will help your case to get him promoted.

You may want to consider having your son privately tested.  This may be costly, but you can get some baseline data to see if he really is ready for the next grade level.

Even though research indicates that retention is not good for the child, I have seen where retention has benefited some students.  Usually it is best if in the younger grades such as K and 1st.  I know I would have benefited from any extra year of first grade - I have a learning disabilities that wasn't diagnosed until 8th grade.  

The bottom line, you need to do what is best for your son.  If you believe he should be retained, then you need to fight for it.  State the facts and try not be be emotional.  You want the school administration to take you seriously, not as a hysterical parent.

Hopefully, I have given you somethings to concider or to think about.

Barb Kruger
Www.Lesson.pop.com

0
0