Modernfam
Modernfam asks:
Q:

My child is struggling and his teacher would like to send him back to second grade. How do I know if retention is the best choice?

My son just started third grade. However, is really having a difficult time. The teacher feels he will drown once the school year progresses. He has been on the fence each year. But I can't help but notice his growth and effort. He has difficulty with reading comprehension and mathematics. He also has trouble focusing. He will be assessed for a learning disability. I would like to explore other alternatives such as having a tutor to help him catch up. Or if he does have a learning disability, make arrangements to help him learn in different ways. I could let him go back to second grade but I'm afraid his self esteem will plunder. The teacher feels he will gain confidence and self esteem by repeating the second grade. When is retention the right choice?

|