Michele2boys
Michele2boys asks:
Q:

Will my child have trouble in kindergarten if he never attended pre-school?

My child is going to start kindergarten. He turned 5 in april but he never did attend preschool, because of his asthma. He has been in NICU since 2 in and out.  He is very smart asks tons of questions. His popular ones are about astroids what makes them fall from the sky. How a power plant works. But he does have a little speech problem. Will he be ok in kindergarten
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness

|

KidAngel
KidAngel writes:
Hi Mom!
Sounds like you have a very bright 5 year old. I hear you concern and I relate to what you are saying. He sure sounds bright enough to start K. Not sure whether he is emotional ready for the socialization part of K that he will be involved with. I would start him making sure that you have a meeting with his teacher beforehand to go over what your concerns are. I would also ask the school whether they can provide a speech therapist for him. Once starting K I would let the teacher know that you will be checking in with her every week or so at the start so that the two of you can discuss how he is doing in K and whether or not he truly is ready. If he is not ready I do not think it will do him any harm to start this fall. Keep the lines of communication open with your son, he may be the first to tell you if he is ready or not. Wishing you and your son the best! What an exciting time for the both of you.

Barbara Antinoro
Educational Counselor
Kid Angel Foundation
Education.com Team

1
0