paayal
paayal asks:
Q:

My child is a victim of bullying and teacher seems not very interested in helping us. What should we do?

My son is in kindergarten and i came to know that he is a victim of bullying when there is 4 days left for summer vacation. I tried to talk to his teacher but she says she did not see that it is happening. she does not look like that she is interested. what should we do? should i wait for the next year because they said that they will have different kids in next year or solve the problem? Is this going to help my child in next year if take necessary step this year, but i have just 4 days. please help me
In Topics: Bullying and teasing, Friendships and peer relationships

|

Dr.Susan

It is very difficult to resolve a situation like this at the very end of the school year. It is is also understandable that the teacher doesn't want to devote a lot of time and energy to resolving a situation that she doesn't even observe at such a late point in the year. However there are a couple of things you can and should do to help your son.

1. Make an appointment with a member of the administration to explain the situation. this can even happen in the beginning of the summer, they continue working for a while. Make sure that the bullying is documented.

2. Request--from the teacher and in your later meeting with the administrator--that your child NOT be in a class next year with the child or children that bullied him.

3. Do no take it in your own hands to resolve this issue. Parents are often defensive about their child's behavior and may not take kindly to you pointing out that their child is a bully. You don't want to end up with bad feelings between you and another parent when it can be avoided simply by keeping the children separated for a year which will hopefully end the bullying cycle--giving you a chance to teach your son the skills he needs to stand up to bullies so he doesn't become the target of one again.

Good Wishes and Great Parenting,
Dr Susan Bartell
www.drsusanbartell.com
Twitter @drsusanbartell
NEW book "The Top 50 Questions Kids Ask"

4
0

fritzr
fritzr writes:
It seems to me to be kind of late for the school to do anything.  I would simply wait until next year and make sure your son knows that if he feels he's getting bullied he should come to you immediately.

0
0
Hello, Adding to the previous answer you received...

Here are some free resources you can share with the teacher and principal to help them address bullying on campus: http://www.education.com/topic/school-bullying-teasing/
There are tips for parents in that info center as well.

I'm sorry to hear that your son experienced bullying, and I hope you are able to resolve this matter as soon as possible. Please also consult a family counselor, child psychologist or your son's pediatrician to evaluate his current emotional health in person, and help him with any difficult feelings he may be having about the bullying. All the best to your family as you sort through this, and thanks for asking!

0
0
pandalove
pandalove writes:
solve the problem because i see that if the teachers is not doing any thing to solve it u must have to see what up with that bullying in school

0
0
EdieRaether
EdieRaether , Teacher writes:
he fact is only about 4 percent of teachers are taking action and only about 24 percent even see it as a problem. THAT is a problem which is why I am wanting to do more training programs for teachers.
If people are not held responsible, nothing will change.
Iam a speaker and author on bullying. I provide interactive prevention programs for angry kids who bully, protection for kids who are bullied, and answers for parents and teachers seeking guidance to a serious problem that is responsible for many child and teen suicides.

Please visit www.stopbullyingwithedie.com and make it easy for kids to reach out and find that safe space every child is entitled to have.

Edie Raether M.S, CSP

0
0
Mr_Flees
Mr_Flees writes:
Look for an ATA Martial Arts Center near you(www.ataonline.com). They have anti-bullying programs available that teach kids what to think, say, and do and what to do when Bully's turn Violent. This program is to teach how to be safe not how to fight!

1
0