Michellee asks:

Need childcare for 10 year old son with Aspergers Syndrome... Can anyone help with ideas??

I am looking for childcare for my son 3pm-9:30pm daily. He can not attend a regular daycare and I can't afford a nanny in home. Please contact me with an ideas. I am lost at this point!!
In Topics: Special needs, Autism & Aspergers Syndrome
> 60 days ago



May 15, 2009
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

This is such a difficult challenge for many families who have a child with special needs of any kind. We parents desperately need respite and help and it's hard to find, especially on a limited budget.

Depending on where you live (small town? big city?), you might be able to find community services and support.

It will take some effort and digging around on your part, but here are some places to start with to find the help you need:
- Your medical team
- Special education teachers in your school district
- The obvious: friends, family, neighbors
- Church
- Do a google for "respite special needs" for your town/ state
- www.BraveKids.org lists many great resources by city

Depending on the severity of your child's condition, you might consider trading child care time with another family. Also, some communities have babysitting coops that might be helpful.  The area I live in has a very strong network called www.kindering.org that serves as a resource center for local services.  

I hope this gives you some ideas. Hang in there!

Lisa Greene
Parent Coach

Did you find this answer useful?

Additional Answers (2)

pegacorn writes:
I have found Easter Seals to be a wealth of information.  I would recommend you call them.  They may provide services you need or put you in touch with other people/organizations that can.
> 60 days ago

Did you find this answer useful?
LouiseSattler , Child Professional writes:
There is a list of daycare providers in each state who will care for special needs children.  Also, he may be eligible for respite care (in home) with local organizations that help families with children with special needs.  Your local school district should have a family liasion who can help you with both of these.  Furthermore, you may wish to check with local colleges as future special education teachers may be available for childcare and may also know some good behavioral and educational strategies to help your son.  I have inserted a resource website that may help as well.  Good luck
> 60 days ago

Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend Education.com to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely