Show me another question in this topic
ataloss
ataloss asks:
Q:

Do children with Aspergers syndrome tend to neglect their hygiene?

i have a soon to be 17 year old daughter and she's been diagnosed for about 7 years now with aspergers. my concern is that she has gone throught periods of time where she neglects her hygiene. this has gone on for years, but, seems to have gotten worse. is this a trait that others with AS have. she refuses to brush her teeth, take showers etc. i need to  know i'm not alone with this.
In Topics: Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|

you are not alone.  Asperger's is a spectrum of all types of children and adults. Some are very good with personal care and others need promting by family or peers.

If you use a daily planner prompt or some such reminder system for your 17 year old, include showering and other suggestions.

As physicians we do worry about females when personal menstrual hygiene is neglected as it is a source of infection.  Please reminder her of her obligation to take care of all aspects of her personal care.

Wayne A. Yankus, MD, FAAP

0
0

1singletif
1singletif writes:
hello forum,

WOW! WHAT A YEAR! I hve been forced to grow up quite a bit in the past several months, especially as we are undertaking our second year of school.( My son has entered the first grade.) What a ride it has been. No picnic at all. But all quite neccessary. And at the end of the day, I have to smile to myself and say well kiddo, this is yoiur life. My son has been given a dual diagnosis of not only adhd, but also bipolar disorder. It did not take me by surprise, because I too had been diagnosed as such when I was twelve. And was resubmitted for the the same dual diagnosis as my son just recently. It is rough, because I pride myself and my children on our brightness. So, I have have had to see this as our "dim spot". But there are many silver linings that I am finding, now that I have sought help for my fanily. For instance, just finding out that people will help you when you ask for it. I concur with all the advice to hang in there. It is like a light bulb has went off, or been turned on. Whatever yiou want to call it, I seeour family's challenges with open eyes now, and I am committed to my children and myself to make the best of eavh and everyday. One of the things that has helped us alot, is learning when to move on from a thing. If your kids makes a mess, do not ruin the whole day disciplining them over spilled milk. Its shouldnt be "loook what you have done!!!!"  And then a full on convention about why you cannot deal with all the spillings. I have found that it is just easier to quickly clean up the mess, and just simply advise your child to be more careful next time. You would be surprisedthe result of moving on. The next go round you may find them asking for help, or like I saw my son doing, tiptoeing to be more careful. Never got those results yelling and screamingand crying. I had to laugh to myself. Too cute.

0
0
JSmith1007
JSmith1007 writes:
Hi,  i also have aspergers syndrome, and found that its not nessacary just a case of forgetting about personal hygiene and in the need or reminders, but a case of sensory oer load caused by tasks such as brushing teeth and showering, more about how i[ve experienced this can be found over on my blog  http://nurseteaspoons.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/personal-hygiene-and-asperger-syndrome.html which goes into more details on how i've tried to overcome these issues.
JSx

0
0
Show me another question in this topic